Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Whoopie Pies (Guest post)

Hello! I am so happy to be invited to share with you! Although I don't enjoy cooking like my wonderful friend Jess. I am all about working ahead in my kitchen so I don't have to think about baking or cooking for a few days. ( or weeks) First let me share a bout my little (younger by 2 yrs.) sister. She has an inspected Commercial kitchen where (before her 4 babies) she baked oodles of yummy stuff to sell at local Farmers Markets. So every once in a while she has a need to get elbow deep into sugary stuff and she invites me to help! We mix up HUGE batches of batter. I mean these mixing bowls are so large that i could bathe my 2 yr. old in them! So amid the clouds of flour and powdered sugar we are chatting our hearts out like only sisters can... and at the end of the day we have PILEs of these yummy Whoopie Pies to put in our freezer. And never fails, one day I sent one of my daughters to the freezer to bring us some dessert and they say 'all gone'. And like always I will say 'You've got to be kidding me! How could we eat all those whoopie pies in such a short time?" So here you go! try your own hand at this Pennsyvania Dutch tradition!
"A whoopie pie (alternatively called a gob, black-and-white, bob, or 'BFO' for Big Fat Oreo) is a baked good made of two round mound-shaped pieces of chocolate cake, sometimes pumpkin cake, with a sweet, creamy frosting sandwiched between them.[1] While considered a New England phenomenon and a Pennsylvania Amish tradition,[2] they are increasingly sold throughout the United States.[1] According to food historians, Amish women would bake these (known as hucklebucks at the time) and put them in farmers' lunchboxes. When farmers would find these treats in their lunch, they would shout 'Whoopie"

2 comments:

  1. I am DEFIANTLY gonna try my hand at these! They are sososo GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMMMMMMMM!!! Ike and I will be having them soon! I love this blog, Jess!

    ReplyDelete

IF you have tried this recipe or who like to comment, please do so! I love reading your comments and reviews!